Monday, December 31, 2007

Put Your Oxygen Mask On First!

I travel around the country quite frequently(one of the perks of my husband working for a major airline) and I am always struck by the flight attendants instructions that in case of a need to use the oxygen masks, we must put our own on first and then help our children put theirs on.

Why do you think this is the case? I have always taken it to mean
that if we don't help ourselves first we can't help anyone else.
I have been using this example in my Breast Cancer Awareness
workshops for some time now.

We as women are so busy with taking care of our families,
having the perfect career, being the best friend, and the most
wonderful wife in the world; that we tend to forget a monthly
ten minute ritual that could ultimately save our lives!

That ten minute monthly ritual is your monthly Breast Self Exam.
Take the time to perform it religiously so that you can be around
to enjoy your families, friends and career. Put your oxygen mask
on FIRST.

Sharon Mayers

No comments: